Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Blessed...

For the past two and half years, I have had the pleasure and utter privilege of sharing the responsibility of parenting with my wife.  We are a blended family in every sense of the word and of course, along with any blend there are subtle nuances that must be mastered in order to achieve an acceptable flow that's pleasing to the senses.  I entered the relationship with one child who would eventually become a big brother, a role although he is suited for, he does not take willingly.  My wife presented two beautiful children, a boy and a girl that would become my son's siblings and my "kids."

We share a sentiment that was introduced in my lineage that the concept of step-parenting would not be used in our house.  I often tell my children that the only "steps" in our house are the ones that lead to the front door.  This forced family oneness comes with it's own set of issues and dilemmas.  For the most part we have made the smooth transition from single households to a single household.  I love watching these children grow and in a often times voyeuristic fashion watching as life shapes and molds their individualism and personalities.

My oldest is the introverted jock.  The kid in high school we all knew was special but he rarely spoke of such greatness and his shyness (not humbleness) wouldn't allow himself to brag or boast of his achievements.  My youngest son has developed a middle child view of life that causes him to long for the spot of "the baby" while demanding the privileges of the oldest.  His personality speaks for his character and his outgoing nature allows him to speak to absolutely anyone.  He is bold in his demeanor and craves the spotlight by any means necessary.  Our youngest and only girl is just that.  She relishes in her many roles as "the only."  The only girl, the only one with a t.v. in her room, the only one who doesn't have to take out the trash, the only one who...etc.  

Yes, my wife and I are completely to blame for the double standards we have set in our home and we sleep at night with the comfort of knowing that life will repeat these standards throughout their lives.  For now we keep things fair only because we define fairness.  We act as judge, jury and unwilling participant.  My wife and I have learned to refrain from looking to heaven asking God silly questions such as, "what are we going to do about these kids?"  Instead, we make thought provoking statements, "Lord, you made them...teach us to raise them."

He listens and with every smile, accomplishment, goal, and gut wrenching laugh...He answers...

1 comment:

fbslaton said...

Tmass, what up brotha. Love your writing style and the way you have your reading holding on with anticipation of what is coming next. Also very thought provoking. Remember to keep acknowledging him and he will continue to direct your path. Be blessed my brotha.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin